The Benefits of Solar Net Metering
Net Metering is a program offered by your local utility that allows both residential and business customers to generate electricity from solar for their own use. If the electricity produced by a customer’s solar system can be used in real-time, then great. The customer is supplying their own electricity that would otherwise have to be purchased from the grid. If, at any moment, the solar system is producing more energy than needed, no problem – the extra energy is sent back to the grid, and the customer receives a credit on their utility account, effectively running their meter backwards!
If the solar system is producing less electricity than needed at any given moment (at night, for instance), then whatever is needed is taken from the grid. At the end of the month, the utility will calculate how much energy was taken from the grid, deduct the amount of energy that was sent back to the grid, and provide the customer with a NET bill.
Net Metering means cost savings, energy independence, and long-term protection against rising electricity costs. Net Metering is the simplest and most cost-effective way to get solar working for you.
Solar Net Metering: Fast Facts
- Net-metering is a billing arrangement that lets you generate renewable energy and receive credits on your hydro bill for any surplus electricity you send back to the power grid.
- Credits are carried forward to offset future consumption – up to 12 months.
- Net metering creates energy credits (i.e. kWh), so all charges that are based on kWh can be offset.
- Net metering is a regulation, (O.Reg 541/05) under the Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998 and is available throughout Ontario.
Offsetting Electricity Costs with Solar Net Metering
Net metering offsets a host of electricity costs in Ontario. Net metering credits can be used to offset all utility charges billed on a per-kilowatt-hour basis, including:
- Global Adjustment (Ontario)
- Delivery Charges based on kWh usage
- Regulatory Charges based on kWh usage
Solar Net Metering Can Mean BIG Savings
Customers who are not subject to kW-based demand charges can offset up to 95% of their annual bill with Net Metering.
Customers who are subject to kW-based demand charges can offset up to 80% of their bill with Net Metering.
Unlock the Hidden Value In Your Property
At Otter Energy, we’ve installed over 250,000 solar panels for Ontario farms, businesses, homes and institutions and are net metering experts. Let us show you how to save on energy costs, increase the value of your property and pay yourself for the energy you use.